Few changes in the world today have greater significance than the continuing increase in life expectancy. The medical, scientific and societal challenges of population ageing are immense and new knowledge is urgently needed to ensure as high a quality of life as possible, throughout the life-course.
The UK Government has identified research into ageing as a priority.
Understanding ageing is crucially important because a large proportion of medical conditions develop as people grow older.
Recognising the benefits of better understanding the ageing process, the UK Government has identified it as a major priority and Newcastle, as a city of science excellence, is recognised throughout Europe as leading the way.
The last two decades have seen major investment in both buildings and research into this high profile area, enabling the city to capitalise on its strengths and continue to make major contributions that are impacting upon people’s lives across the world.
Healthy Ageing Key Facts
- Newcastle’s Institute for Ageing & Health (IAH) is recognised as Europe’s leading centre for research into ageing
- A number of global companies, including Microsoft are working with researchers at Newcastle University’s Institute of Ageing & Health
- The Newcastle University Medical School is one of the oldest in the world celebrating its 175th Anniversary in 2009
- The Newcastle NHS Foundation Trust Surgical Training Centre is unique in Europe and one of the only centres where students get to practice on cadavers – human corpses
- Healthcare and life science sector annual turnover is £8 billion employing 16% of the North East’s population
- £200m has been invested in healthcare facilities across the North East
- 33% of the UKs pharmaceutical GDP is generated in the North East
The Science City team can help you gain access to the very latest research in the area of healthy ageing and introduce you to key people within the University.
We are also on hand should you be looking to find out more about locating your business in the city.