Inspiring and enthusing the next generation of Newcastle’s scientists is a critical part of our work.
We aim to ensure that young people are fully aware of the exciting and varied career opportunities that are available to people who have studied Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) subjects at school, college and university. Our new eBook showcases some of these careers and highlights the various routes to similar jobs.
By linking schools with STEM ambassadors and industry experts we ensure STEM subjects are taught in an engaging and relevant way. We also use our knowledge of the scientific landscape to signpost schools to resources and outreach activities that can help bring science to life for young people.
Below is a list of some of these resources:
- STEMNET (maps all STEM outreach activities to schools and trains business people to become STEM ambassadors and participate in STEM engagement activities in schools)
- Centre for Life
- Science Learning Centre (national initiative to provide Continuing Professional Development to science teachers)
- Scene (Newcastle College’s environmental outreach programme)
- EDT (engineering outreach activities for schools)
- Enviro Schools (environmental/climate change initiative in schools)
- Leading Edge (engagement programme for schools to work on a project with a researcher)
- Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
- Moorbank botanic garden
- School of Dental Sciences